In November of 1921, the church purchased the lot on which the building stands. In the spring of 1922, the original building, 36 by 40 feet, was erected with G.L. Richardson driving the first nail. When the building was finished, a Sunday School was organized with J.D. Bolton serving as superintendent. At that time, the church had services one Sunday each month, later two Sundays, and in 1944 went to full time. A few years after the church was built, two wings were added to make room for the Sunday School classes.
In 1945, the parsonage was built and in 1946 the church building was made 12 feet longer. A baptistery was built and an educational building with kitchen and nursery were added. Phase I in 1988 brought the addition of offices and 10 Sunday School classrooms. They were connected to the main building in 1992 as Phase II. A house was donated to the church to be used as a parsonage in 1995, and with this the old parsonage was torn down with the land to be used for parking as needed. 1996 continued with Phase III with the new addition of two nurseries, classrooms, bathrooms, a Prayer Room, Entrance Foyer, and the 130 seat addition to the remodeled Sanctuary. The year 2000 brought a new office complex addition with graveled parking across the street at 1009 W. Race Ave. The parking lot at the office was paved and striped in the spring of 2001. The new Family Life Center was completed in the spring of 2004.
West Race Baptist Church was organized on June 6, 1921, with nineteen charter members and with Elder G. L. Richardson as the first pastor. West Race Baptist Church is affiliated with the Baptist Missionary Association of America (BMAA).
In 1921, a group of Association Baptists without a church home secured the use of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church and asked G.L. Richardson to preach one Friday night each month. This continued for several weeks. On June 6, 1921, an Association Baptist Church was organized with 19 charter members.
Elders: J.A. Smith, J.A. Williams, G.L. Richardson, minister, and John A. Pettus, deacon, composed the Presbytery. J.A. Smith preached the sermon. Rev. G.L. Richardson was called as pastor and P.L. Kirby was elected clerk. At the close of the service, T.W. Walker was accepted for membership by baptism, being the first member to join the new church.
The church affiliated with the then General Association, later the American Baptist Association of America and the Baptist Missionary Association of Arkansas. A short time after the church was organized, J.D. Bolton and J.S. Redus were ordained as deacons.